Any user may request a block at an administrator's talk page for major incidents of vandalism or disruption. Users requesting blocks should supply credible evidence of the circumstances warranting a block. Administrators are never obliged to place a block and are free to investigate the situation themselves. Because blocks may be reviewed and appealed, it is often important that the blocking and reviewing administrators each communicate with and take care to inform the other.
Blocked users may write a message why they should be unblocked on their user or talk page; since during a block you can still edit your own user and talk page.
Reasons for blockingEdit
Accounts and addresses may be blocked for behavior that damages or disrupts the wiki, including:
- Recurring vandalism or spamming, with reference to the definitions given by our revertations policy
- Recurring failure to observe the behavioral sections of our discussion policy, such as making personal attacks or not adhering to a basic standard of civility
- Continual edit warring
- Accounts with inappropriate usernames
Accounts and addresses may not be blocked for:
- Disagreeing with an administrator; this is conflict of interest
- "Cooling off" purposes; this usually only inflames the situation
The duration of the block given should depend on the severity of the behavior and the likelihood of its repetition. However, the following should be kept in mind:
- In general, the first block should be of a reasonably short duration, with the length increasing progressively every time a further block is required.
- Sockpuppets that have been used maliciously should always be blocked a month or two.